Sunday, September 30, 2012

In loving memory of Suki

In loving memory of Suki
“Princess Suki” “Mama Suki”
June 9, 1996 -- September 25, 2012


Anyone who reads this blog knows that Kelly has a brain tumor, and how sudden that hit.  Last week, I had to get to St. George simply to be there for Kelly.   A couple of days before I left, Suki wasn't feeling well.  I was actually quite worried.  I was crying when I dropped her off at my mom's.  I held Suki the whole way over, and asked her if she could hold on until I got back.  She nuzzled her head into my neck.

I set up all her pillows and blankets at my mom's.  I knelt down next to her, and told her how much I loved her.  I even told her that it was okay if she left, because I knew how tired she was.  She kissed me on the nose.

I called my niece, Aimee, and asked her if she could get some pedialyte because Suki had been throwing up.  I felt horrible leaving Suki, and I was worried about leaving her with my cute 86 year old mom.  After I talked to Aimee, I felt a bit better, knowing that she'd help my mom out with Suki.

The days progressed, and I called my mom constantly to see how Suki was doing.  About the same, she'd take some chicken broth and some pedialyte.  My mom took her outside and she'd walk around a little bit. 

On Monday night, I had a really anxious feeling that I should go home.  I rode the elliptical and cried as I decided.  I decided that I was going to stay.  I felt at peace.  The next morning, my mom told me that Suki was doing so much better.  She was walking around and even ate some solid food. 

Later that afternoon, my mom called and she was crying.  Suki had been really sick.  My mom was holding her, and she wouldn't take any of the pedialyte.  My mom called again and it didn't sound good.  I tried to call my mom and only got her answering machine.  My mom's answering machine is in the same room where Suki was.  My mom has the volume up, and sometimes, I leave messages for the dogs. (One time, they knocked her phone off the hook as I was leaving a message).  I told Suki how much I loved her and told her it was okay if she leaves.  That's she's been a perfect little girl and how much I loved her.  A few minutes later, my mom called and told me that Suki had died.  My mom kept saying how sorry she was, and through my tears, I thanked her for holding Suki as she died.

I came home the next day.  My mom and I found the perfect little wooden box for Suki.  I placed Suki's favorite little blanket in the box, and lined it with rose petals.  She's buried in my back yard.



4 comments:

cindy said...

Rest in peace Suki. Love you Loretta.

cindy said...

Rest in peace Suki. Love you Loretta.

Anonymous said...

L, my heart goes out to you. I wish I could take away the pain of your loss. Greg

Mailbox said...

Loretta -

I am so sorry to hear about Suki and about Kelli. I am praying for you and for Kelli. I wish I could take the pain away.

Linda