Saturday, February 25, 2012

Goodreads

For Christmas, I got my mom a nook type book.  I say "nook" type because it works with Barnes and Noble.  She still loves real books better (me too), but she's been reading 2-3 books a week now!  She doesn't know how to load them on her nook, so when she's out, I run up there and put a few more on there for her.

This is one of the main reasons I've been getting into a Social Media site called "Good Reads."  Once you set up an account, it gives you a slew of book titles that you've read, and you rate 'em.  Well, I was an English Major, so I breezed through the Classics.  And, I wouldn't characterize myself as a big reader, but I always seem to be reading something.

And seriously, my best friend is Kelly....I mean relatively speaking I'm illiterate compared to her.  Example:  When we came home from England I had to schlep 40 pounds of books home for her--because her suitcase already had too many and she exceeded the weight limit for the plane.  PLEASE remember:  she has a NOOK too!  :)

I'm probably digressing because I haven't heard from Kelly on her Artic Adventure, and I'm a smidge worried, so I'm thinking about her....

Back to Goodreads, so I responded to a slew of the books to rate.  And, now, I have about 50 books that the site has recommended--I'm pretty excited!  And, I even have some new books to keep up with my mom's reading appetite.

My mother likes mysteries that are very dramatic and dark.  My point, and I do have one:  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was one of her favorite books.  In fact, she devoured the entire series in a couple of days.  I couldn't even read it.  Too much for wimpy me.

Anyway, here is a fun widget that Goodreads has, that lets you show off some of the books.  I'm not putting this one on the side, cuz according to their site I've read over 500 books (who knew that English Major background would give me such a base?):


Skippydance's bookshelf: read

The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My FatherHealing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional FamiliesUnlimited Power : The New Science Of Personal AchievementThe Soul's Code: In Search of Character and CallingLove, Medicine and MiraclesPaperdolls: A True Story Of Childhood Sexual Abuse In Mormon Neigborhoods

More of Skippydance's books »

Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Anyway, if you are on Goodreads (and it's the only social site I spend time on), send me a friend request so we can swap books.  I'm ALWAYS looking for a good book to read (and now scouring for good books for my mom also).  :)

FYI:  When Kelly gets back, I'm going to see if I can get her to fill out those reviews/ratings.  I bet she's read 10,000 or more books so far!

No comments: